2012-06-13

The Summer Without Men - Siri Hustvedt (1)

It is impossible to divine a story while you are living it; it is shapeless, an inchoate procession of words and things, and let us be frank. We never recover what was. Most of it vanishes. And yet, as I sit here at my desk and try to bring it back, that summer not so long ago, I know turns were made that affected what followed. Some of them stand out like bumps on a relief map, but then I was unable to perceive them because my view of things was lost in the undifferentiated flatness of living one moment after another. Time is not outside us, but inside. Only we live with past, present, and future, an the present is too brief to experience anyway; it is retained afterward and then it is either codified or it slips into amnesia. Consciousness is the product of delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment