2012-01-29

The Road to Oz - L. Frank Baum

Sometimes I have to buy the e-book even if I all ready have the printed book, so I can carry it with me in my Kindle. And when I got the 15 books about Oz by L. Frank Baum for 0.99$ it's a given. (The 15 Oz books in print is really long and does not fit in my jacket pocket)
I love reading about Oz and I'm always smile while reading about the adventures in the magical land. The first two books are also full of memories for me. This, The Road to Oz, I haven't read before but I love it and I more then glad that I have 10 more books about Oz.
The Oz books are also the kind of books you can read in different ages and see new things in an other light. And the language is wonderful. I can't believe at times that the books where written in the beginning of the nineteenhundreds.
The highlights I made while reading is all about roads and money. I like the shaggy man quite a lot.


"Of course not. I wanted you to show me the road, so I shouldn't go there by mistake."
"Oh! Where DO you want to go, then?"
"I'm not particular, miss."
This answer astonished the little girl; and it made her provoked, too, to think she had taken all this trouble for nothing.
"There are a good many roads here", observed the shaggy man, turning slowly around, like a human windmill.
"Seems to me a person could go 'most anywhere, for this place."


"Roads," observed the shaggy man, "don't go anywhere. They stay in one place, so that folks can walk on them."


"Money," declared the shaggy man, "makes people proud and haughty. I don't want to be proud and haughty. All I want is to have people love me; and as long as I own the Love Magnet, everyone I meet is sure to love me dearly." (Oz-wiki)


"It must have cost a lot of money," remarked the shaggy man.
"Money! Money in Oz!" cried the Tin Woodman. "What a queer idea! Did you suppose we are so vulgar as to use money here?"
"Why not?" asked the shaggy man.
"If we used money to buy things with, instead of love and kindness and the desire to please one another, then we should be no better then the rest of the world," declared the Tin Woodman. "Fortunately money is not known in the Land of Oz at all. We have no rich, and no poor; for what one wishes the other all try to give him, in order to make him happy, and no one in all Oz cares to have more then he can use."
"Good!" cried the shaggy man, greatly pleased to hear this. "I also despise money--a man in Butterfield owes me fifteen cents, and I will not take it from him. The Land of Oz is surely the most favored land in all the world, and its people the happiest. I should like to live here forever."


"You have some queer friends, Dorothy," she said.
"The queerness doesn't matter so long as they're friends," was the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment