2012-02-29

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green (1)

I've just read "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green, a book that I wanted to read since last summer when I found out about it. I then pre-ordered it. I didn't know I was going to move to Berlin at this time so the book arrive back in Stockholm and got sent here from there. This book has traveled quite a bit.
I read it in one day. I got it yesterday afternoon and was done today afternoon. It's a great book. Writing about terminally ill cancer teenage and make it this fun, serious and good can't be easy but Green pulls it of. I laughed, I cried and I recognize places in Amsterdam, where parts of the books takes place.
And I have some many bookmarked pages, so let's start.

Augustus glanced away from the screen ever so briefly.
"You look nice," he said. I was wearing this just-past-the-knees dress I'd had forever.
"Girls think they're only allowed to wear dresses to formal occasions, but I like a woman who says, you know, I'm going to see a boy who is having a nervous breakdown, a boy whose connection to the sense of sight itself is tenuous, and gosh dang it, I am going to wear a dress for him."
---

Augustus stepped toward him and looked down. "Feel better now?" he asked.
"No," Isaac mumbled, his chest heaving.
"That's the thing about pain," Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. "It demands to be felt."
---

"Why are breakfast foods breakfast foods?" I asked them. "Like, why don't we have curry for breakfast food?"
"Hazel, eat."
"But why?" I asked. "I mean, seriously: How did scrambled eggs get stuck in with breakfast exclusivity? You can put bacon on a sandwich without anyone freaking out. But the moment your sandwich has an eggs, boom, it's a breakfast sandwich."
Dad answered with his mouth full. "When you come back, we'll have breakfast for dinner. Deal?"
"I don't want to have 'breakfast for dinner,'" I answered, crossing knife and fork over my mostly full plate. "I want to have scrambled eggs for dinner without this ridiculous construction that scrambled eggs-inclusive meal is breakfast even when it occurs at dinnertime."
"You've gotta pick your battles in this world, Hazel," my mom said. "But if this is the issue you want to champion, we stand behind you."
"Quite a bit behind you," my dad added, and Mom laughed.
Anyway, I knew it was stupid, but I felt kind of bad for scrambled eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment